Elon Musk says 150,000 orders received for Tesla cybertruck despite rocky launch

25th November 2019 

Two windows from the ‘bulletproof’ armoured vehicle shattered during a PR stunt in Los Angeles.

Chief executive and co-founder of Tesla, Elon Musk, said there has been about 150,000 orders for the company’s newly unveiled cybertruck.

In his comments, made on Saturday, Mr Musk said there has been 146,000 orders so far, with 42 per cent choosing dual, 41 per cent choosing tri, and 17 per cent choosing single motor cybertrucks.

He added that orders were achieved without any advertising or paid endorsements. Tesla’s latest vehicle, marketed as the electric answer to America’s love of the pickup truck, has been described by Mr Musk as “a really futuristic-like cyberpunk, Blade Runner pickup.

Last Thursday, the launch suffered an embarrassing setback when the armoured window’s shattered when being tested for durability. Chief designer at Tesla Franz von Holzhausen chucked a heavy metal ball at the front passenger window, causing it to smash. Following the reaction of a shocked Mr Musk, a second metal ball is chucked at the back left window, also causing it to smash.

An embarrassed Elon Musk remarked that the important thing is that the ball did not go through the window.

Tesla said the cybertruck will be in production in 2021, starting at $39,900 (€36,243).


27th November 2019

While shops remain shuttered and turmoil fills the streets, Alibaba raised $11.2bn in Hong Kong.

25th November 2019

Popular ride-hailing service to continue as appeal against Transport for London decision is underway.

25th November 2019

LVMH currently owns 75 brands, employs some 156,000 people and has a network of over 4,590 stores.

Jo Caruana - 24th November 2019

‘Our customers can now use the same app to pick the service they ’d like to use, including our scooters.’