Elderly persons aged 75 and over are now able to use Malta’s buses for free, Transport Minister Ian Borg said on Monday.
The scheme was initially announced last October during the 2020 budget speech. It is an extension of current schemes allowing children, students and people with disabilities to ride the buses free of charge.
As of 1st January 2020, all those aged 75 and over are eligible to ride the bus for free. Dr Borg explained that eligible senior citizens who have already paid their bus fare through the Tallinja card will receive a refund for the full amount at the end of each month. The scheme is expected to work in this way indefinitely.
An estimated 19,000 people qualify for the scheme, Dr Borg said.
Centrecom, a customer service provider, will operate an office taking calls from customers who have any related questions. The Government has rolled out free public transport schemes gradually, with outgoing Prime Minister Joseph Muscat having previously said that he envisions all public transport being free of charge in the long-term.
For further information about free public transport schemes, call 2248 3500 from Monday to Friday between 8am and 4.30pm.