Southern Valletta's Balconies To Undergo €2 Million Restoration

18th October 2018

The scheme can cover up to €8,000 of eligible costs for each restored balcony.

A new €2 million scheme has been launched as part of the project towards the regeneration of the southern part of Valletta.

Residents of the area will be able to apply so that building facades are given a new appearance through the restoration of a number of balconies in a dilapidated state.

Those balconies which are not constructed of traditional materials will be replaced with traditional wooden balconies.

The scheme can cover up to €8,000 of eligible costs for each restored balcony.

The port zone was identified as an urban zone where integrated action for sustainable urban development is most necessary.

80 per cent of this scheme is financed by European funds and the remaining 20 per cent by the Planning Authority.

Parliamentary Secretary for Planning and the Property Market Chris Agius, and Parliamentary Secretary for European Funds and Social Dialogue Aaron Farrugia, who launched the scheme said that Malta’s traditional balconies form an important part of our heritage, and therefore this scheme has its own importance as it will not only lead to the restoration of heritage but also means that their continued use will be encouraged.

For further information, those eligible are invited to phone 2290 1151/1555 or to send an email on [email protected] ; alternatively, they can visit www.pa.org.mt/en/valletta-marsamxett


29th October 2018

One of the owners of the tower, RE/MAX CEO Kevin Buttigieg, said he believed that between 2025 and 2030, around 60 per cent of the world’s working spaces will be coworking spaces.

17th October 2018

The only constraint seems to be a shortage in stock, the article remarked.

11th October 2018

Nearly 60 per cent of people consider housing costs to be a burden.

Martina Said - 6th October 2018

The Kamra tal-Periti’s newly-launched awards programme recognises outstanding architectural projects that are a cut above the rest.