UK Drivers Will Need Green Card To Drive In Europe In Case Of No-Deal Brexit

17th January 2019

Drivers may also need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive abroad, in the case that no Brexit deal is reached.

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has warned that if UK motorists plan to drive abroad after 29th March, they need to have a Green Card to prove they have insurance.

Both British businesses and individuals driving in Europe or across the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border would be affected by this change.

Since the card needs to be ordered a month before travel, the Association said drivers should act soon or risk breaking the law.

Although European insurance authorities agreed to waive the need for Green Cards in the event of a no-deal Brexit in May 2018, it has not been confirmed by the European Commission.

"As it looks increasingly possible that a no-deal Brexit may happen, we want all insurance customers to know the facts about what this means for them,” Huw Evans, director general of the ABI, said.

Drivers may also need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive abroad, in case of a no-deal Brexit.

Prime Minister Theresa May, who narrowly survived a no-confidence vote the day after her plan for leaving the EU was rejected, is to meet MPs today to try to find a way forward for Brexit.

She must present a new plan for EU withdrawal to Parliament by 21st January.

24th January 2019

The company’s former chairman and CEO, Carlos Ghosn, remains imprisoned in Japan.

15th January 2019

However, both Ford and Volkswagen made it clear that the deal is not a merger.

14th January 2019

Transport Minister Ian Borg said this initiative would help parents refrain from using their private...

8th January 2019

Appearing in court for the first time since his arrest last November, Mr Ghosn told the court he had...