Vast Majority Of Maltese Households Own Their Home

11th October 2018

Nearly 60 per cent of people consider housing costs to be a burden.

Home ownership was the most common type of tenant status in Malta in 2017, with 78.2 per cent of all households owning their main dwelling, according to the National Statistics Office (NSO).

Of these, more than 76 per cent were outright owners, meaning that they either never had a mortgage on their main dwelling or have repaid their debt in full.

Almost 4,000 households were included in the survey, which found that 44.1 per cent of all inhabited dwellings in Malta and Gozo were either detached, semi-detached or terraced houses. The remaining 55.9 per cent of inhabited dwellings were in the most part either apartments or maisonettes.

The largest proportion of main dwellings (31.2 per cent), contained 5 rooms. This was followed by 23.6 per cent of main dwellings composed of 6 rooms, and 23.1 per cent composed of 7 or more rooms.

Among households with dependent children, 85.9 per cent were home owners, while 74.2 per cent of households without dependent children were home owners.

On the other hand, in rented main dwellings, 20.4 per cent of households without dependent children are tenants, against 10.3 per cent of households with dependent children.

According to EU-SILC, during 2017, 2.6 per cent of all those living in private households lived in overcrowded households. The overcrowding rate is defined by the number of rooms available in the household in relation to the household’s size and other demographics.

Among owner occupied households, the overcrowding rate stood at 1.5 per cent, whereas the corresponding rate for persons living in rented dwellings was 7.8 per cent. The overcrowding rate can also be observed in correlation with relative poverty, in that the overcrowding rate stood at 5.3 per cent for persons who were at-risk-of poverty or social exclusion, whereas this rate stood at 1.9 per cent for the rest of the population living in households.

Housing costs were perceived to be somewhat of a burden for 58.6 per cent of all persons living in households. According to 27 per cent of respondents, pollution, grime or other environmental problems was the most common housing problem indicated by the responding households. The second most mentioned problem entailed noise from neighbours or from the street, which was experienced by 25 per cent of all households.


Martina Said - 15th December 2018

“The past 12 months have proven to be a veritable renaissance for the capital city," says Frank V. Farrugia, President of the Malta Chamber of Commerce, Enterprise and Industry.

Jo Caruana - 12th December 2018

The Office of the Commissioner for Tax Revenue is soon to introduce the new mandatory filing of VAT returns for all companies and business operators that employ 10 or more people.

Marie-Claire Grima - 12th December 2018

"The crux is understanding the client’s operational business and what they need in terms of recruitment, as well as what the candidate wants," says Lara Camilleri, Konnekt’s Finance and Legal Recruitment Manager.

11th December 2018

Transport Minister Ian Borg said the tender for the design, building, maintenance, and operation of the tunnel would be published sometime in 2019.