The Malta Chamber of Commerce, Enterprise and Industry, together with the Malta Maritime Law Association, organised the Malta Superyacht Symposium: Charting the Future. The aim of the event was to provide a platform for local stakeholders with the input of professionals from the international superyacht community. Transport Malta and Yachting Malta were Supporting Partners for the event.
The symposium focused on three objectives;
1. Formulating a future strategy for the superyacht industry for Malta;
2. Building upon Malta’s position as a leading yachting jurisdiction;
3. Presenting a formal report to the authorities with practical recommendations resulting from the various panel discussions.
The aim of the Symposium was to showcase and analyse the Malta superyacht industry, looking at its achievements over the years. In addition, the event was also consultative in nature. Discussions were held in a roundtable format, with representatives from various industry sectors, ranging in topics from the Malta flag, refits, Malta as a destination, the status of regulations, crew training and brokerage trends.
Throughout the two days, the panels discussed the following topics:
• Malta as a Centre for Superyacht Refits
• Malta as a Superyacht Destination
• The Status of Regulation in the Superyacht Industry
• Crew/Training Challenges in the Superyacht Industry
• Brokerage Trends & Issues
• Charting our Future in Malta
A keynote speech was also given by Cav. Lav Massimo Perotti, CEO & Executive Chair, Sanlorenzo Spa.
Following the panel discussions, all moderators presented the panel reports while reactions and feedback were given by Minister for Transport, Infrastructure & Capital Projects, Dr Aaron Farrugia, PN Shadow Minister Ivan Castillo (Maritime Sector) & Dr Mario de Marco.
The event was moderated by Julia Aquilina, Policy Executive at The Malta Chamber.
The Malta Chamber and Malta Maritime Law Association would like to thank the supporting organisations for their contribution:
Dingli & Dingli Law Firm, Fenech & Fenech Advocates, AZIMUT Yachts Malta, Ganado Advocates, MAMO TCV Advocates, Melita Marine Group, Grand Harbour Marina, No 12 Wines, KS Shipping, BWA Yachting, VISTRA, NAS, MMH and Farsons Direct.