The Malta Chamber CEO, Dr Marthese Portelli, led a meeting with Jesmond Muscat, CEO of the Building and Construction Authority (BCA).
During the meeting several points were discussed including:
• enhanced effective communication between BCA and the Planning Authority to ensure better compliance and proper enforcement
• how to ensure the take-up of sustainable building materials and moving towards Net Zero buildings
• the current state of play of the Building Codes and Fire Regulations
• the current state of play with respect to the Building Passport
• the importance of licensing of contractors
• the importance of an education and dissemination campaign for professionals and the general public highlighting legal requirements, in particular those regarding energy efficiency
• the importance of ensuring that BCA has the necessary skilled and specialized resources
The Malta Chamber is concerned that the targets set out in the Energy Performance in Buildings Directive will not be reached unless immediate and due consideration is given to the above. The Malta Chamber remains committed to positive change and for this reason is setting up a number of Working Groups on the subject matter.